Frequently Asked Questions

Is the school air-conditioned?

There is ducted, evaporative air-conditioning installed throughout the school.

What time should students arrive at school?

8.30 a.m. is the recommended arrival time. Students who arrive before the recommended time are required to assemble in the administration courtyard to ensure supervision.

What time are are the school gates closed?

School gates are closed at 3.10 p.m. for security reasons. Parents can pick up their children from the office via the main carpark gate if they arrive late. 

What happens if students arrive late?

Children who arrive after 8.45 a.m.  are expected to enter the school via the front office to receive a late note.

Can my child leave the school grounds during normal hours?

Children are not permitted to leave the school site without permission from the school or parent. A Leave Pass for outside appointments must be completed by a parent or nominated adult. These forms are available from the front office.

What happens if students are absent?

It is recommended that you contact the school via text SMS to advise office staff of your child's absence. By texting 0437058031, parents can avoid receiving a text message at 11 a.m. on the day of their child's absence.

What happens if parents enter the school during school hours?

All parents and community members entering the school during normal hours of operation are required to sign the visitors' book in the front office before collecting a visitors' badge. 

What do I do if I want to help at school?

A confidential declaration must be completed by all parents and guardians if they are volunteering to help at school. All other volunteer helpers must produce a Working with Children card. (Click to Download the Confidential Declaration form.)

What is the SMS Contact System?

Parents are advised to supply the school with a current mobile phone number. SMS contact is invaluable for many obvious reasons.

Where can't I park?

The staff car park and services car park on Keatley Crescent are only available to vehicles with the appropriate permissions. Parking is restricted to areas with clearly marked bays on the school side of Keatley Crescent and Crinum Court.

Are hats compulsory?

Children are required to wear a hat all year round for outdoor activities. Sun damage is common in our Australian climate: The regular use of broad spectrum SPF30+ sunscreen is also recommended.

Why is play equipment 'out-of -bounds' before and after school?

Staff supervision is only provided during normal school hours. 

Do I need to present immunisation records?

On admission to school, parents of kindergarten, pre-primary and primary children must present their child's Immunisation Record Card. DTP, CDT and Polio vaccinations should also be up to date.

Are in-school health services provided?

Ms Andrea Zulch, our school nurse, deals with routine matters and special referrals. Health checks are followed up and parents are advised of any concerns.

How does the school deal with chronic or serious health problems?

Children with asthma, diabetes, severe allergic reactions, heart problems or any diagnosed health concern are identified on enrolment. An Action Plan is developed (and updated annually) to ensure that proper emergency procedures are in place. Information is then passed on to staff.

What happens if my child is sick at school?

Parents are encouraged to keep sick children at home. Minor injuries are treated at school but parents will be contacted when the injury or illness requires further attention.

Is there dental therapy available?

There is a free service operating at Halidon Primary School in Kingsley. The service provides continuous, preventative dental care for each enrolled child and is spervised by an officer from the Public Health Department. (Telephone: 9409 6362)

Is there a school psychologist?

Our Learning Support Coordinator, Shylie Elliott, manages all teacher and parent referrals. Parental permission and assistance is a key part of the referral process. Following a set testing procedure, a child-specific plan may then be implemented. Experienced psychologist, Joanna Kwan, is onsite for one day each week.

What is the SAER Program? 

Throughout the year, teachers identify students who may require academic extension of remediation. Parents are always included in the process. It is also a requirement that an Individual Education Plan, designed by the class teacher and SAER coordinator, be signed by all stakeholders.

 When are school assemblies?

Parent and administration assemblies commence at 9.00 a.m. fortnightly on a Thursday.

Is there before/after school child care available?

 YMCA provide a comprehensive before/after school child care service. Further information can be obtained by clicking on the following link. YMCA Woodvale

 Is a there a Chaplain at WPS?

 Yes. Sharon Warnes is onsite for two days a week. Sessions are organised by Deputy Principal, Cally McNeill.