The final year 6 camp at Manjedal was a memorable one for the fifty-four students who attended.  After four days of frenetic activity, teachers, students and parents enjoyed a well-deserved weekend of rest and recuperation. (Old-timers Mr Barber and Mr Bewick also required extra massage sessions to aid their recovery.)

A fifteen metre tower greeted our nervous campers on the first day. After attaching a compulsory harness, most students made the tower ascent to enjoy a panoramic view of the campsite from the top platform. Leaning backwards from a fifteen metre tower is not for the faint hearted and our reluctant ‘abseilers’ demonstrated courage and tenacity to master their natural fear. 

Legendary camp cook, Marlene, set a very high standard for the first evening meal with a delicious roast chicken culinary extravaganza. Clean plates made easy work of the washing up and the chocolate cheesecake that followed was devoured by all who tasted it. On the second and third nights,  pasta bake and roast beef were also popular with our well-fed campers who often returned for a third ‘helping’.

For many students, the Manjedal flying fox was their personal camp highlight and day 2 began with nervous anticipation. Soaring across a natural valley and above the tree canopy is a unique experience and all students enjoyed multiple descents. 

The afternoon activities were designed to foster teamwork and collaboration and our students tackled each challenge with focus and determination. Historically, raft-building has not been a successful camp activity in terms of producing a 'seaworthy' craft. Our boat builders, however, rose to the challenge and several groups managed a double circumnavigation of Lake Jones. (Even the black cockatoos watching from the tree canopy seemed surprised.) The blind-trail was a fun diversion for the second group who managed to traverse a tricky forest trail with a blindfolded partner. Several injuries were reported to team doctor, Mrs Atkinson, with a number of students accused of deliberately leading their partners into trees and other obstacles.

After a fair night’s sleep, day 3 was fast-paced and action-packed. The giant swing activated adrenaline and the inflatable obstacle course was an entertaining activity for the second group. The afternoon session provided a different set of challenges and, once again, our students approached archery and the subterranean tunnels with their usual enthusiasm. Despite close supervision from master archer, Eagle, Mr Barber regularly scattered the black cockatoos perched in the trees beyond the firing range. Milly A, on the other hand, pierced the bullseye on several occasions. Descending into the Manjedal tunnel system with a torch and a partner was also a surprise highlight. Many overcame their fear of enclosed spaces to complete the advanced course and re-emerge after an hour below ground. 

Crate stacking and wall climbing on the final day completed a tremendous camp. Beth R stood on top of 17 crates and demonstrated patience and flexibility in the process. Beth T showed similar reserves of stamina to make the highest ascent on a difficult wall climb. Not surprisingly, the bus trip back to school was a quiet one.


Manjedal Image Gallery, 2015