Woodvale Primary School has placed a strong emphasis on sport and physical education. Woodvale has maintained a successful program over a long period, and has been a dominant force on the sporting field for a number of years, winning 17 of the past 23 interschool athletics carnivals. The school has also been very successful in the State Primary Tennis Championships, winning the boys competition in 1997 and 2002.
Olympians, Tina Morgan (taekwondo- 2004 & 2008) and Casey Dellacqua (tennis – 2008 & 2012 ) are both graduates of Woodvale Primary, spending all of their formative years as part of our school community. In 2011, Rohan Bewick became the first Woodvale graduate to play AFL football.
Throughout the year, representative teams participate in a variety of events/competitions and all students complete an in-term swimming program. Students are also fortunate enough to participate in a variety of clinics run by expert coaches from local sporting clubs thanks to the Sporting Schools program.
- Students participate in several sport and physical education sessions throughout a normal school week.
- Woodvale Primary has a number of representative netball teams. These teams participate in a Saturday competition, organised and coached by parents.
- Tennis coaching on the school courts is provided by Robinson’s Tennis Academy. Parents are required to pay a nominal fee to participate in these ‘before-school’ sessions.
- Students participate in a winter lightning carnival, competing against other schools in their district association.
- The school’s Faction Athletics carnival which is held in Term 3 combines both juniors and seniors and has a strong focus on student participation. It is a hugely successful event and one of the many highlights on the sporting calendar.
- An Interschool Athletics carnival is also held in term 3, involving schools in the same district.
- Woodvale Secondary College is a specialist sport school. Year 6 students can apply for the basketball and soccer programs later in the year.
- Our school also boasts extensive grassed play areas, hard courts for tennis, basketball and netball as well as a nature playground in our early childhood precinct, providing challenging and enjoyable activities for all students.